Saturday, December 15, 2012

Saturday School: Homemade Cheese using dry milk




Saturday School:  Homemade cheese from dry milk

I got this recipe from the dry milk handout found on peaceofpreparedness (see below).  I thought I’d give it a try.

Here is my experience trying it:  Mixing 3 c of dry milk into 4 cups takes a few minutes to get it all mixed, it also creates a lot of froth on top.  Heating it to 115* didn’t take long at all.  As soon as I added the oil and vinegar, the milk started to curd.  I still waited another 5-10 minutes, but it didn’t seem to curd a whole lot more after I initially added the vinegar/oil.  In fact, it curded so quickly that stirring the oil and vinegar into it left a clump of curd in my whisk that I had to use a knife to cut out.

I used a slotted spoon to scoop out the curds, since my bowl would have been too small for all the liquid at once if I had just poured the curds and whey into the cheesecloth lined strainer.  I twisted the cheesecloth to close it off and squeeze out the excess liquid.  I used dental floss to tie the ball of curds into a hanging position over a bowl to catch more liquid drain-off.

The results:  It was crumbly like the grated parmesan cheese from the store, similar in taste-somewhat.  I couldn’t grate it because it would just crumble.  Best for salads or on top of pasta I think.  I used about 1 T worth of salt when I made it and it wasn't too salty.  Taste wise--as it isn't bursting with flavor, it compliments parmesan cheese and things that are made with it, but by itself, I didn't think it had too much taste of its own.

Here are the pics from my first time making cheese this way:



Making Cheese with dry milk powder:
Mix 4 c. water and 3 c. dry non-instant milk in large saucepan, heat until 115°. Add 2/3 c. oil and 1 3⁄4 c. white vinegar. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
When curds (cheese clumps) separate from whey (watery stuff) then pour them into a cheesecloth lined strainer.
Mix salt into curds. Pull up sides of cheesecloth, twist just above cheese, squeezing out water as you twist. Tie with string and hang overnight, hanging over bowl. Unwrap and grate.

No comments:

Post a Comment