Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday Why: Charcoal

When using & storing charcoal does it matter what brand or kind?  Yes, at least I believe it does--here's why: Based on my own experience, name brand charcoal lights quicker, burns hotter and lasts longer than generic or store brand charcoal.  I have used generic brand charcoal, and it does work, but for emergency situations when I want to get more out of the fuel I am using, I would prefer a charcoal that lights quicker, burns hotter per briquette and lasts longer.  So for your regular BBQs or summer camping, generic may be fine; but I suggest for emergency fuel storage to use the name brand stuff if you want to get the most out of the fuel you store.

Store your charcoal in airtight containers if possible--charcoal can and does absorb moisture from the air over time which affects its effectiveness.  I chose to seal at least some charcoal in mylar bags for longer term storage.  Buckets with lids, plastic bins with lids or other airtight containers will work also.

A 16.6 lb bag of Kingsford original charcoal has about 300-325 briquettes.  I counted.  I counted out 50 briquettes to put into mylar bags that I could then seal, the last bag ending up with around 15-20 full briquettes and a bunch of little pieces.   I chose to put 50 in each mylar bag because that is how many fit without being too full, it is also about how many I could use for 1 hot meal a day for 3 days (assuming about 15 per meal & allowing for a little wiggle room) or 3 hot meals for 1 day if each meal needs to be cooked with charcoal.

I do suggest having a couple different alternative cooking methods and fuels--not always are you going to be able to cook outside (charcoal is OUTSIDE ONLY use); not always will you have the sun to use a solar oven; and not always will you be able to cook indoors--or want to.  I really like the idea of having a solar oven--even people who live in apartments usually have a balcony or patio or even parking lot that could be used for solar cooking--beyond the initial cost of the solar oven, the fuel is free!!!  But not always is it sunny, so having wood, charcoal or other fuels and the methods to go with them is a great idea if you want cooked food without electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment