Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday School: Alternative Cooking

Today I will be sharing a handout from the most recent alternative cooking class I taught (I taught it today in fact!).  This is very similar to one I shared last year, but with what I think is a very cool difference:  this one I added a Family Home Evening outline for teaching about temporal preparedness and such, this one is specific to powerless cooking, but the idea can be used for other temporal preparedness FHEs.  This is just a simple FHE, you can make up your own, but I wanted to make it a little easier by creating one that is simple and can be used with both young and old children or with just adults.  Hope this helps!  I know having family home evening is very important, I know it blesses and helps each family member.

In the FHE activity for this topic, I mention doing a matching game with young children, in the class I taught I didn't include a matching game as part of the handout--I really wanted to keep the handout to 1 page, but here is a quick one I put together using my own pictures.  You can use your own pictures or graphics and make your own.  Below the handout is the powerless cooking matching game that I made.

There are lots of methods to use for cooking food without electricity.  Choose the methods that you can and want to use, then budget for them--either make your own or buy commercially made ones.  Some methods can be bought for cheap at thrift stores, garage sales or at end of season clearance/sales.  Other items do come on sale periodically--like sun ovens tend to come on sale yearly around June-Aug, but occasionally other times of the year too.  Remember to be safe, to know how to use something and become familiar with it by practicing using it so that when you may have to use during emergencies, you know how to safely and effectively use it.

So here is the most recent Cooking without Electricity class handout, you can click on it and enlarge it for printing:

And the matching game, simply print it out and cut up each picture or section, glue onto construction paper or cardstock that has been all cut to the same size and laminate if you want.  Match the method with the fuel--or in the case of the wonder box oven or ice-chest oven match with the insulator--the bean bag filling or pillows.
I hope this information helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment