Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Taste Test Tuesday: Bacon Burger

Today's recipe uses cooked cracked wheat, cooked bulgur can also be used.

These bacon burgers tasted great and the cooked cracked wheat wasn't noticeable.  I think I also added some chopped onions to the mix.  You can use all one type of ground meat, but I had bought some 80% lean ground beef on sale and wanted to use it, but by mixing it with the usual 95% lean ground turkey I buy I felt it was a little healthier than all ground beef.  But, really you can use all of one or all of the other.  I find if I use all ground turkey, I prefer to add a little more onion and pepper than if I used all ground beef.

Note:  Wheat berries are the whole wheat kernel.  Bulgur or cracked wheat is wheat kernels that have been course ground into smaller pieces (about 2-4 pieces from one kernel).  These terms are often interchanged, but really bulgur is wheat that has been cooked, dried, cracked and the chaff removed (making it cook faster—think of instant rice compared to rice).

No comments:

Post a Comment