Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Taste Test Tuesday: Whole Wheat Basic QuickMix

Milky May:  Today I will actually be sharing a few recipes, because they use the same basic mix that I want to share.  Not only does it use whole wheat flour but it also uses dry milk powder.   The recipe for this Whole Wheat Basic Quickmix I got from a friend from Michigan, she is one of the ones who got me started with my zeal for using wheat often and in different ways many years ago.  So on to the quickmix recipes...
I love this mix, it makes delicious biscuits!  And it is whole wheat!!!
MMM, just thinking about these biscuits.  I've made them plain, I've also made them with additional seasonings and cheese, both are delicious.  If I haven't shared my apple cheese biscuits in the past, I will have to share that another time, but this recipe will also work by adding shredded cheese and rehydrated dried apples.  The picture above were ones I made with shredded mozzarella and italian seasoning.
My kids love chocolate chip pancakes--I've used both regular sized semi-sweets and mini, the minis don't sink to the bottom of the batter as easily as the regular sized chips do (this is true for breads and muffins too).  You can also add a little peanut butter, or pumpkin, apples and cinnamon, etc. for some different flavors--adjust the liquid/oil slightly as needed.  For the pancakes, I made them without any oil, but if you would like you could add 1-2 T of melted butter or oil to the batter--this is where pumpkin or peanut butter would replace the oil rather than adjusting the liquid.  As for the waffles, I made them after mixing up the pancake batter, I doubled the recipe, then after using about half of it for pancakes, I mixed in some oil (no extra egg this time) and they turned out fine, though I think having the extra egg would be better, so the oil amount above is actually just a guess-timate, it could be as much as 3/4 cups, but I think I used at least 1/2 c worth.
Tomale Pie is another recipe that can use this quickmix, but it is also very good with cornbread.  I share this recipe, because it is good but also it shows that the biscuit mix/cornbreads can be used as a crust of sorts for pot-pies and such.  This is also a good recipe to add dried veggies-like carrots, onions, peppers, etc.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment