Thursday, May 10, 2012

Taste Test Tuesday: Catch up 2 recipes

Doing a little catch up after taking a few days off from blogging... So instead of sharing just one recipe this week I will share two.  I will also share a few links that I think are helpful when someone wants to learn more about dry milk powder and how to use it--to answer the question:  What are some resources for someone wanting to learn a little more about dry milk?  This certainly isn't an exhaustive list of links, just a couple I thought did well in sharing the information.

First with the links:
The following 2 links consist of information about milk and then recipes for using it, both from peaceofpreparedness (a site I highly recommend to anyone starting out or well experienced with food storage and preparedness):

These other two links are also very helpful in learning more about powdered milk and how to use it.  Both of these sites also share many recipes using powdered milk and other food storage items, both also have handouts for various food storage items:

Now for the recipes-both of which can use dry milk in its prepared drinking form.  First:  Peach Cobbler
I got this recipe from one of my aunts.  I used prepared milk from dry milk powder when I made it this time.  The picture above shows a little more than one recipe would make--I actually used a huge can of peaches and doubled the rest of the ingredients and used one 9x13 and one square pan for the massive amount of batter and peach mix-I should have used two 9x13s--oh well.  You will notice that the base mixture (the flour mixture) starts out on the bottom, but as it bakes it rises through the peach mixture, making a delicious and moist topping.  MMM, great with ice cream!

Pasta Pizza:  I've made pizza lasagne before many times, but this time I used bow-tie pasta.  It worked out great, and instead of a full fledged egg and ricotta mixture, just use a little milk mixed with egg.  Actually it probably doesn't even need that since you mix the tomato pasta sauce of your choice in with the pasta, but with the milk and egg is just a little more protein, so why not?  It is a nice change from regular pizza crust.  You could also layer the pasta, sauce, meat, cheese and toppings whether you use lasagne noodles or not, I just found mixing the pasta with the meat sauce easy and quick.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment