Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Taste Test Tuesday: Potatoes & Sausage

I'll admit I had to come up with amounts for this recipe after the fact, so you may have to adjust to get it to the right taste your family enjoys.  I should have written down what I used at the time I made it rather than trying to remember.  But, I think the above is pretty close to what I used.  I didn't have sour cream on hand, so I used milk instead, it turned out fine.  This recipe would also be good adding some bell peppers (fresh or dehydrated)

When rehydrating veggies, you can use water or stock.  For more flavor, especially when making potato flakes into mashed potatoes, I highly recommend using chicken broth/stock.

Freeze dried or dehydrated fruits and veggies are a great addition to home storage as they take up less space than their canned or even frozen counterparts.  I like to have canned, frozen and dehydrated in my storage, rather than just one or the other, here is why:  I want to have the ability to have canned should there be a lack of water (as dehydrated requires water to rehydrate); I like to have dehydrated also since space to store food isn't always optimal and they are very nice and handy to only have to rehydrate or throw into a soup; and I like frozen for the ease in preparation and taste in everyday cooking.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment