Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Taste Test Tuesday: No Bake Cookies


MMM... cookies!  This recipe isn’t much for any new year’s resolutions to lose weight, but at least it has whole grain in it!
This recipe is adaptable to your tastes.  I added about 2 tablespoons of cocoa this time.  You can also increase the oats to 1 1/2 c and omit the wheat or decrease the oats and add more wheat.  In the past I have made no bakes using cooked whole wheat berries.  Just a note about using the wheat berries--the day after, the wheat berries were much harder to chew--I don’t know if it is because the sugar in the recipe crystalized within the berry or not, but I would suggest that if you are going to use wheat berries, make sure the cookies are eaten the same day they are made.  This recipe is also good adding some shredded coconut, sunflower seeds or chopped peanuts (I use crunchy peanut butter anyway).

As far as the milk goes, I used reconstituted powdered milk this time.  It turns out just the same.  If you don't have reconstituted milk on hand, here is what you need to make just 1/4 c worth:  1/4 c water, 3/4 T dry milk powder, mix well until no clumps.  I suggest using a container larger than 1/4 c to do the mixing, the other option is to simply put the water and dry milk powder in with the sugar and butter and mix it up that way-- (I added it already reconstituted). The dry milk powder amount is for non-instant dry milk powder.  If using instant you will need to double the amount.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment