Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Taste Test Tuesday: BBQ Rice & Wheat

This recipe is a great one for adding in wheat, whether you are trying to hide it or not.  If trying to hide the wheat, instead of adding it to the rice, add it in with the ground meat--after browning the meat, add cooked cracked wheat to it, mix and heat then it is nicely hidden, simply add it to whatever recipe you are going to use ground meat for.  Otherwise, by combining the cracked wheat with the rice, you are able to cook them together saving some time and energy.

Here is a picture of when I cooked rice with wheat:  I used 1 1/2 c rice, and 1 1/2 c sifted cracked wheat.  I love rice cookers when it comes to cooking both rice and cracked wheat!
In the recipe above, I used equal amounts of rice and cracked wheat.  I also used dried onion and celery, so no butter.  But I did add a little soy sauce just for fun to the sauce.  As far as the ketchup (and water) goes, this time I didn't measure it, I started with half a bottle of ketchup and ended up using it all, then filling the ketchup bottle half full, swishing it around to get all remaining ketchup out and using that for my water, a great way to use up any ketchup!  As far as the amounts of onion and celery go, use whatever you like, I like a little more, but it is good with less too.

This was normally a rice only dish, without any wheat.  I have added it to the meat mixture, and as above, to the rice as well.  I think it tastes great with or without wheat, but why not add the little extra health benefits of wheat?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment