Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Taste Test Tuesday: Fruit Smoothie

This is another great way to use dry milk.  First you will need to make it into drinking milk--I've included instructions for making 1 qt of milk on the recipe card.  If you prefer to make a whole gallon at a time:  4 qts of water, 3 c of dry milk powder* and 1+ teaspoon of vanilla.  I usually make 3 qts at a time so that when I am mixing the powder into the water it doesn't spill (my pitcher can hold a gallon but the gallon mark is right near the top which is not ideal for mixing dry milk powder into water!).

I add vanilla when I make dry milk because I think it helps it taste better.  I've also heard of some people adding sugar, I've never tried adding sugar because I think adding the vanilla alone helps the flavor.

This smoothie recipe can be used with any fruit.  The above picture is when I made it using frozen strawberries.  You can use fresh fruit as well, but the thickness that comes from frozen is so nice to have without having to add ice cubes-which if you use fresh fruit you will want to add ice cubes to get a thicker smoothie.  This smoothie is filling too!  A great way to get some fruit and protein all in one.

*Please note:  the amounts listed are using dry milk powder from the LDS home storage centers.  If you are using dry milk powder bought from a regular store, usually it is instant dry milk powder and you will need to double the amount when using instant powder.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment