Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Taste Test Tuesday: Wheat Banana Cookies

Got bananas?  Sometimes, it seems, the bananas get eaten before it can even register that we have some. Other times though, the bananas stick around for a while, becoming perfect specimens for bread or other things that require mushy bananas.  Well, rather than always make bread, I sometimes freeze my mushy bananas so I can make bread another day, or like this recipe, instead of bread I made cookies.  They turned out pretty good.  They were soft, not crunchy, but still more cookie like than bread like--which is what I was hoping for.  These cookies were even softer the following day--maybe because I had them in a plastic storage bag.  I can't remember right now what recipe I adapted to get the above recipe, possibly an allrecipes.com recipe  (the original recipe didn't call for wheat flour, I remember that much--but this is a great recipe to use wheat flour in!!!).  Banana recipes (bread, cookies, cakes) are good recipes to replace the white flour in whole or in part with whole wheat flour.  When substituting wheat flour for white flour in a recipe that calls for baking powder or soda as the leavening agent, like the above recipe, increase the amounts of these slightly.  The same is true for yeast recipes--increase the yeast slightly when replacing white flour with wheat flour.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment