Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Taste Test Tuesday: Dry Milk Recipes

A few recipes using dry milk powder for today, hope you enjoy them!  I had originally thought of spreading these recipes over a few weeks, but since they go to together (kind of anyway), I decided to share them together.  




I originally got this recipe in a basic food storage recipe booklet my family was given for Christmas a few years back.  I finally found this recipe booklet here on theideadoor.com, here and then later here on mormonshare.com, as I searched for it in the hopes of finding who made it and whether it is copyrighted or not--so that I could know if I could share the recipes or not, as of yet I haven’t found any such copyrights, so I hope it is ok to share the recipe(s).  And for whoever put this wonderful recipe booklet together--thanks and wow!!!
Then a few years later, I came upon this website:  www.everydayfoodstorage.net.  Can I just say that I love this site!  I have tried multiple recipes from this site as well as in the recipe book she put together (I Can’t Believe It’s Food Storage), and haven’t been disappointed.  Anyway, on this website can be found this recipe, as well as recipes using this recipe.  Here is one of those recipes, homemade blender cheesecake--mmmm!






You can also use homemade yogurt cheese in this recipe, see the site for a video on using and making it, here.  I'm also including the recipe to making yogurt below.  The picture above shows the cheesecake I made using homemade yogurt cheese.  I have made it using regular cream cheese as well, and it is good that way too, but I do love that the yogurt cheese reduces the calorie and fat content of this yummy dessert.  From the picture you see it was too good to wait to take a picture of the whole cheesecake:) and my crust was crumbly--oh well.  I measured out 8 oz of yogurt cheese with a simple kitchen scale this time, but in times past I guess-timated.

The recipe below is adapted from other websites to use homemade sweetened condensed milk.


The carmel recipe that I adapted to use food storage (dry milk sweetened condensed milk) I originally found here (jamiecooksitup:  I love this site too, great recipes!).  It was linked to this site, where this recipe is shared, but also a great tip on using a candy thermometer for this recipe.  These two recipes differ in the time it says it takes for the mixture to turn to carmel, I would go with the longer times--as when I made it it took at least 20-25 minutes for it to turn carmel color.


I'm still trying to decide whether this was a success or a yummy failure...
It did work to use homemade sweetened condensed milk.  The carmel was VERY chewy and sticky--not something you want to eat if you have braces (or a weak jaw)!  Coming out of the fridge after setting, it is lick-able, but not bite-able, at least not without effort.  Your jaw gets a work out here, not sure if all carmel apple carmels are this chewy or not--or if it is because I used homemade sweetened condensed milk.  I would let the carmel apple sit at room temperature for a good 20 or so minutes before trying to bite into it.


And finally, for today:  how to make homemade yogurt, and yogurt cheese.



This recipe is similar to one found in the basic food storage cookbook mentioned earlier in this post, and a recipe or two on allrecipes.  I combined and adapted them to find what worked for me, the above recipe has worked and continues to work for me in making homemade yogurt with dry milk.  You can see it is very near the consistency of store bought yogurt-not a liquid yogurt.  I sometimes do actually measure out dry milk powder and the yogurt, other times guess-timate-so sometimes I end up with more--whether you use the lesser amount or the greater amount it still works great.  Though using the greater amounts shown I have gotten a slightly thicker yogurt than when I use the lesser amounts.

To make yogurt cheese from this:  you will need a flour sifter/strainer that can rest on top of a bowl.  The bowl will need to be deep enough that the sifter doesn't touch the bottom.  You will also need coffee filters (or cheesecloth--I've only used coffee filters to this point).  Line the sifter with 2 or 3 coffee filters.  Fill about 1/2 full of yogurt that has been chilled.  Cover with more coffee filters then put something to weigh it down--a ziploc bag filled (and sealed) with water works great.  Let is sit like this for several hours--the longer it sits the thicker it gets, after overnight, it is about the consistency of soft cream cheese.  It can now be used in place of cream cheese for a low-fat version!  I have also used just the coffee filters attached to empty yogurt containers without a strainer.  (see pictures below for a visual of what I just described)

To see a video tutorial on making yogurt and yogurt cheese see www.everydayfoodstorage.net, she has done a great job of showing how to do this here, she also has a yogurt making handout.  Like I said, I love that site!


The pictures aren't that great, but hopefully they help.  I do prefer the sifter over the bowl--It does seem to work better for some reason.  I really like the creaminess to the cheesecake recipe above when I use yogurt cheese-mmm so good!

I hope you enjoy making and tasting these recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment