Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Taste Test Tuesday: Banana Bread



Food Storage Banana Bread
This recipe came from my desire to try and use as much shelf-stable food storage items as I could.  The results:  the bread muffins weren’t quite the same texture or taste of your normal white flour, fresh egg, oil based banana breads, but still good and worth making & eating.  Even better was the thought that not only does this use food storage, but it has added fiber and protein that it wouldn’t have otherwise had. And, the kids liked it.
I actually used closer to 1 cup of mashed bananas and thought they were a little dry so that is why in the recipe, I upped it to 2 cups.  1 cup did work and was good, but I think 2 cups will prove to be a better amount to use.  I didn’t use any added water for the powdered eggs-I simply added the powder to the bean puree and sugar and beat with the mixer.  
Perhaps, I shouldn’t have swapped out white flour for wheat, bean puree for the fat, and powdered eggs for fresh all at once--so that I could narrow down any undesirable combinations, but as it turned out--it turned out--so no loss and no toss.  In general, though, if you are altering your recipes to be more food storage friendly, you want to change only one variable at a time to see how you like it, and know what ingredient to attribute to any changes in texture or taste you may or may not like.
A Sweet Start:  Sweet breads (and other sweet treats) are a great way to start integrating food storage items into your diet, as most people enjoy something sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment